On March 8 we celebrate International Women’s Day by recognizing women for the crucial roles they play in all aspects of life. Modern women know how to achieve professional success and lead well-balanced lives. From juggling career responsibilities to supporting and caring for family members, they can do it all. They also know how to have fun in the process!
Looking for a little inspiration this International Women’s Day? Take a look at these 15 quotes from strong, influential women.
- “Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement” – Helen Keller
Helen Keller was one of the most influential women in history. Her accomplishments and optimism in the face of blindness and deafness were extraordinary.
- “Knowing what must be done does away with fear” – Rosa Parks
If any woman had a reason to live in fear, it was Rosa Parks. Yet, she had the courage to stand up for her rights in the face of daunting opposition.
- “I’d rather regret the things I’ve done than regret the things I haven’t done” – Lucille Ball
Lucille Ball was a spitfire of a woman who stole America’s hearts with her portrayal of Lucy in the I Love Lucy sitcom. She tackled life with a can-do attitude that has inspired women for generations.
- “When the world is silent, even one voice becomes powerful” – Malala Yousafzai
Malala Yousafzai is perhaps one of the youngest females to inspire the world with her courage. She continues to fight for girls’ educational rights.
- “You can never leave footprints that last if you are always walking on tiptoe” – Leymah Gbowee
This quote by Leymah Gbowee, 2011 Nobel Peace Prize winner, speaks to the importance of making your mark in the world. It’s the perfect message for women everywhere.
- “Dying seems less sad than having lived too little” – Gloria Steinem
Gloria Steinem lived life passionately and became the spokeswoman for the American feminist movement in the late 1960s.
- “I tell my daughters to have their voice in this world, and it became clear I needed to role-model that” – Melinda Gates
Melinda Gates, philanthropist and co-founder of the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, proves every day that women can accomplish anything they set their minds to.
- “What I do for my work is exactly what I would do if nobody paid me” – Gretchen Rubin
Gretchen Rubin is an influential author who illustrates how important it is to like what you do. Whether you rely on your job to help you send money online to loved ones or to support your own family, make sure you enjoy it.
- “Run to the fire; don’t hide from it” – Meg Whitman
In this brief statement, Meg Whitman sums up the courage of driven women.
- “Everyone shines, given the right lighting” – Susan Cain
This quote is a potent reminder that every woman has something to offer. She just needs to find the right lighting.
- “If you don’t like the road you’re walking, start paving another one” – Dolly Parton
Don’t like where you are in life? Imagine Dolly Parton saying this to you.
- “I may be wearing makeup, but I can throw a fastball by you at the same time” – Jennie Finch
Jennie Finch, retired two-time pro All-Star and Olympian, proves that women can be just as tough as they are beautiful.
- “I choose to make the rest of my life the best of my life” – Louise Hay
The world would be so much better if everyone lived by these wise words spoken by Louise Hay.
- “If you can’t go straight ahead, go around the corner” – Cher
Think of this quote anytime you face a roadblock in life. Be like Cher and go around it.
- “You can be the lead in your own life” – Kerry Washington
This inspiring statement by Kerry Washington sums up everything International Women’s Day is about.